Sunday, October 27, 2013

Halloween in Space Suite, Part 2!



Today, the last three parts of my Halloween in Space Suite: "Meteors!!" "Memories of Earth," and "Peacocks in Space."  This time around, I used a little MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) so I could record something slow and play it back rapidly, and I did a little pitch and time expansion/compression.  Otherwise, everything is "live."  As in, what you hear is what I played.

I'm pleased by how smooth, ordered, and premeditated the sections sound, because they didn't happen that way, except for "Peacocks," which came together in 30 minutes or so after I scrapped my original idea for it.  The chord in "Memories"--i.e., the chord form (C#, F#, B, F, Bb, Eb)--is straight out of Erik Satie, c. 1894. (Two perfect fourth chords, a tritone apart, played as one.)  Yet, by 2013 standards, it sounds jazzy.  Everything in music is context, I guess.

I think my suite nicely shows off the terrific tones to be found on the Casio WK-3800.  If only I'd held onto the list thereof, which was included as an insert with my 3800 literature.  But it's gone.  The 3800's chassis lists a portion, but only a portion, of the tone library, so I'm forced to do a lot of hunting.  Then, once I find a cool tone, I tend not to record its number, so... much of my time spent composing a piece is more like time spent searching for a sound I recorded but forgot to write down.  I never said I was organized, and, if I did, I lied.

To the second part of the suite: Halloween in Space Suite, Part 2

Meteors!!
Memories of Earth
Peacocks in Space

Composed and played by Lee Hartsfeld on his Casio WK-3800, with assistance from Sonar X2 Essential and Magix Audio Cleaning Lab MX.

And here's a zip containing the whole suite, and nothing but the suite: Halloween in Space Suite, Complete

Danger, Thrills, and Monsters
Space Spooks
View from the Space Station
Meteors!!
Memories of Earth
Peacocks in Space

Composed and played by Lee Hartsfeld on his Casio WK-3800, with assistance from Sonar X2 Essential and Magix Audio Cleaning Lab MX.

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment